An interesting article Defining and Advocating for Play from NAEYC discusses a range of definitions of play and its role in young childrens' development and learning.
- The Definition of Play
- Why Play Is Learning at Its Best
- Children Need and Have a Right to Play
- Academic Rigor = Engaging Play
- Advocating for Play at School and at Home
- Play—The True Work of Childhood
- Why Play Is a Pathway to Learning
"Knowing that there are numerous definitions of play and its role in young children's development and learning, NAEYC invited several early childhood educators to write their own definitions. These pieces are published in the May 2014 issue of Young Children, which focuses on play in the early childhood years. We hope these thoughts inspire you to consider how you might define the role of play in early childhood. Visit NAEYC’s website at www.naeyc.org/yc/pastissues/2014/may for more about the May 2014 issue."